If you can map a marketing or sales funnel, use this as your digital path. However, if your industry or product doesn’t lend itself to a digital path like this, use a mental path with change stages instead.
Examples of sales funnels
- Ecommerce: landing page, product page, checkout, purchase.
- Social media: landing page, signup, complete profile, interact with others.
- Education: request info, visit, apply, enroll.
- SaaS user acquisition: signup, freemium, paid, loyal user.
Examples of mental change stage models
- Hierarchy of effects: awareness, knowledge, liking, preference, conviction, purchase.
- Traditional sales stages: lead, opportunity, customer.
- Transtheoretical model of health behavior change: precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance.
At each stage, a portion of users drop out and stop moving toward the desired end goal.
Map individual content pieces to funnel or change stages based on relevance and effectiveness in moving users to the next stage.
For example, social media content and blogs are typically used at the top of the funnel, while white papers and product demos with more tangible, in-depth info are used closer to the conversion point.
Review the typical steps your audience takes when unsubscribing, returning products, and asking for refunds.
While most marketers naturally focus on the entry processes, exit processes are just as important to consider.
Add rewards at strategic points in the conversion process to boost your relationship with your audience and move them to the next stage.
For example, a free lead magnet set behind a signup page offers your users the opportunity for a reward if they provide you with information about themselves. You can then use that information to build more targeted messaging further down the funnel. Other examples include webinar sign-ups and drip video courses.
For example, if your analytics shows a large drop-off at a specific funnel stage, review your messaging and strategy within and around that funnel stage to minimize the drop-off and maximize conversion opportunities.