Improve brand messaging and influence consumers’ subconscious decision-making.
Print out a large copy of the content that you want to analyze, such as an advertisement, a logo, or a landing page.
Based on the content of the marketing asset, brainstorm a list of the messages and feelings you hope consumers will take away.
For example the Old Spice commercials are designed to play with the perceptions of masculinity in a tone-in-cheek manner. They are designed to elicit fun, sexuality, and playfulness.
For example, in the Old Spice example above:
- The horse pokes fun at classic Mills & Boons novels.
- The facial expression of the model is obviously tongue in cheek.
- The setting is over the top idyllic.
- The pose of the model is a caricature of power poses.
- The headline shouts the word ‘Man.’
Enter information from your brainstorming sessions into the first two columns of the spreadsheet.
Ensure that you ask open-ended questions for a better insight into what your customer thinks about your message.