Based on A/B Testing Tutorial: From Beginner to Pro in a Blog Post by @alex_birkett
Develop hypotheses and use A/B tests to improve conversion rates on your website.
Put together a list of code- and content-based website aspects that you could test.
- You could also test different page designs and text content.
Form a hypothesis that is measurable, provides market insights and solves a conversion problem.
- For example, “People will buy more products (measurable metric) when my landing page includes a puppy than when it includes an alligator (market insight)”.
Propose an alternative experience to the existing experience.
- For example, if your original experience features an image of a “puppy,” your variant / challenge could change that image and instead use an “alligator”.
Choose whether to use a simpler client-side or more robust server-side testing tool.
- Server-side testing tools like SiteSpect send a randomized version of your page without affecting the visitor’s browser. They’re good for situations where you have larger teams and ample development resources.
Set up goals so that the testing tool spots when a variation converts web visitors into customers.
- For example, in Google Analytics, use a “thank you” page as the goal destination.