Identify potential partnership opportunities with lifestyle influencers.
Define the criteria you’re looking for in a lifestyle influencer based on your goals, budget, and target audience.
The type of influencers you consider will be determined by the audience you want to reach, your influencer marketing budget and goals:
- Mega-influencers: Celebrities, athletes, social media stars with 1 million or more followers.
- Macro-influencers: Bloggers, media, thought leaders with 10,000-1 million followers.
- Micro-influencers: Consumers, employees with 500-1,000 followers…
If your goal is awareness and reaching a broad national or global audience, identify and work with mega-influencers who post content most related to your brand. If your goal is to promote a single brick and mortar store location, identify and work with micro-influencers who are physically located near the store.
Define the influencer criteria for your brand, such as content topics, follower count, and which platform they post on. As you discover new influencers, compare them against your brand criteria to identify potential influencers.
Create a spreadsheet to track the influencers and verify each influencer’s authenticity, topic authority, content quality and compatibility with your brand.
Add columns for:
- Influencer name.
- Social media handle.
- Main social media platform.
- Lifestyle niche.
- Follower count.
- Influencer audience size.
- Engagement rate: Use an engagement calculator tool like Phlanx’s.
- Contact information.
- Notes: for example, whether they’ve used your products, why you think they would be a good fit, any initial concerns.
Search Google for top influencers within the lifestyle niche, location, or demographic you’re looking for.
For example, if you’re looking for national mommy bloggers, search for top mommy bloggers. If you’re looking for mommy bloggers in Denver, search for top mommy bloggers in Denver.
On social media platforms, manually search hashtags to review profiles that are posting high-performing, high-quality or brand relevant content. For example on Instagram, click the search icon, type in your hashtag, and scroll through Top and Recent Content. Or use one of these hashtag research tools to find the top performing content based on hashtags related to your lifestyle niche:
- Hashtagify: Freemium Instagram & Twitter searches.
- HashAtIt: Free Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, Twitter and YouTube searches.
- Keyword Tool: Freemium Instagram & Twitter searches.
Find top-performing social content created by lifestyle influencers, using topics and themes related to your lifestyle niche. Use research tools like BuzzSumo or Keyhole.
Search an influencer marketing platform like Grin, IZEA, Tapinfluence, or Upfluence, with results filtered for lifestyle influencers who meet your criteria.
A subscription to one of these platforms can save you time and make niche searches a lot easier. Influencer marketing platforms vet influencers and categorize them by topic.
Look through your brand mentions, tagged posts, branded hashtags, or direct messages to see if any influencers have already interacted with your brand.
- To see who has tagged you on Instagram, click on your profile icon and view tagged person icons underneath Instagram Story Highlights.
- To see who has mentioned you on Twitter, click on Notifications > Mentions.
- To see if your brand has been referenced elsewhere in social media or blog content, leverage a brand monitoring tool for untagged mentions like Hootsuite, Brandwatch, or Mention.
Start interacting with the lifestyle influencers on your list through your brand account by following their accounts, reacting to their content, or commenting on their posts.
To increase awareness of your brand before you reach out directly to the influencer, engage with the influencer’s profile and content on the platform they’re most active on.
Contact the influencers you’re interested in working with through email or direct message, with a clear request that outlines what you’re asking for.
In your content request, identify:
- Why you want to work with them: Highlight what you appreciate about the influencer and their content.
- Your brand and mission: Briefly introduce your brand and purpose.
- Your audience & goals: Share details about your audience and high-level details about what you want to achieve. For example, reach exercise enthusiasts with your new product.
- Next steps: Identify your interest in working with them, ask them if they would be interested in learning more and let them know how to best connect with you - for example, respond to this message; send an email.