Write your value proposition

Contributors

@andreea-macoveiciuc-content-expert

Business Benefits

Analyze your competitors, customers, and product to effectively present in words the value of doing business with you.

Examine your competition by doing a SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) and map out where you have an advantage.

Write a value proposition with a direct focus on what you do better than the competition.

For example, Nivea used their research to create a value proposition for their men’s skincare that established the brand as the best in a highly saturated market.

Formulate an angle for your VP by asking questions like Is my website easier to use? or Is my atmosphere better? and Are my staff more knowledgeable?

Understanding where your strengths lie compared to your competitors will help you to write a compelling VP.

Write a VP that makes the benefit of your product immediately apparent to the customer.

For example, Repairs blown head gaskets in just one hour provides justification for what (blown head gasket) and when (just one hour), unlike a statement like Simple fix for blown head gaskets.

Conduct qualitative and quantitative research to understand the motivations behind your customers’ online purchases, and include the data in your VP.

For example, are they motivated by your low prices, range of products, or free shipping?

Test your VP by running Facebook or Google Ads targeting competitor traffic.

Send those users to a landing page where your VP sits front and center. A high conversion rate will indicate a successful value proposition.

Use copywriting techniques to fine-tune your VP before going live.

For example, develop a style guide to help you write using your customers’ voice, word and language choices, as well as intentions and motivations.

Last edited by @hesh_fekry 2023-11-14T15:50:28Z