Get a better understanding of your email performance and optimize your email strategy.
Segment your email subscribers into smaller, more meaningful segments to allow more granular data insights and improved targeting.
Some segmentation ideas:
- Historical spend, for example, high, mid, and low-spenders.
- Level of engagement with your newsletters for example, users with high open rates, and users with low open rates.
- Date of last product purchase for example, last 3 months, 3-6 months ago, and more than 6 months ago.
Add tracking parameters to the website links in your emails to collect better data about your user segments and your email campaigns.
- Go to https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/.
- Enter the link that you want to see in your emails in the Website URL field.
- Enter Newsletter in the Campaign Source field.
- Enter Email in the Campaign Medium field.
- Use the campaign parameter to differentiate between your different email campaigns. Include the email campaign name and date for better context for example, 2020-11-Black-Friday-Mailing; 2020-06-Flash-Sale-Mailing.
- Use the Campaign Term parameter to differentiate between customer segments that you defined earlier. For example, top-customers, us-users, and most-engaged-subscribers.
- If you A/B test your emails, for example, if you test two different layouts of your email against each other, you can use the campaign content parameter to distinguish between the test versions.
Example of a complete URL with tracking parameters: www.example.com?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Black-Friday-2020&utm_term=high-spenders&utm_content=Version-1
In Google Analytics, go to Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium to find your email performance data.
Traffic from all your emails will be listed under newsletter / email in the report. In this view, you can evaluate the email channel as a whole and compare it to other traffic sources to get a better understanding of its importance in the overall mix. Check the Users metric to understand what share of the total traffic your emails generate. Check the Goals metric to understand what share of the total traffic your emails generate.
Click on Newsletter / Email and then on Secondary dimension > Campaign to see an overview of the performance of each email campaign.
Check your success metrics data, such as goal conversions, e-commerce transactions, and revenue, to evaluate the performance of your mailing campaigns, customer segments, or email versions.
Use this information to improve future email campaigns.
Last edited by @hesh_fekry 2023-11-14T11:45:35Z