Optimize your overall marketing strategy and improve ROI.
Create a table or spreadsheet with columns for Funnel stage, Content, and Marketing channel. In the Funnel stage column, add rows for Awareness, Consideration, Decision, and Retention.
For each funnel stage, enter the expected conversion to guide you when selecting content types and creating CTAs. For example, in the Awareness stage you might want users to subscribe to your newsletter or download an ebook, while in the Consideration phase you might want them to ask for a demo or book a call with your sales team.
- Log in to your Google Ad account. In the top navigation, click on Tools > Keyword planner.
- Click on Discover new keyword ideas and enter the keyword suggestions that are relevant to your audience.
- Click on Get results, then on Download keyword ideas and select the preferred format, csv. or Google Sheets.
- Look at the Average monthly search volume column to identify relevant topics with high search volume.
Use the input from the keyword planner to define the needs or problems of your audience. Define the content that is informative, educational, and answers those needs. Focus on adding value to the user to build trust and connection to your brand. Example content that is relevant to the awareness stage:
- Whitepapers about a topic relevant to your audience, for example, in the software or finance industry.
- Blogs providing inspiration like recipes.
- Guides or ebooks showcasing the trends like travel or fashion industry.
- Tutorials such as how to videos.
Use search engine marketing, both organic and paid, as well as social media like Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, as distribution channels in this phase. For B2B products, consider adding LinkedIn ads to the channel mix.
Define the content for the consideration stage to make users consider your offer in the purchase decision-making process.
Provide specific product information to help users make a decision. Example content that is relevant to the consideration stage:
- Free demos or free trials, for example, in case of a software product.
- Case studies demonstrating the specific use of your products.
- Videos demonstrating your product like unboxing or product in use.
In addition to the channels used in the awareness phase, use newsletters to reach your audience.
The goal at this stage is to convince users to purchase your product or service. Use the following formats to build trust:
- User testimonials and product reviews placed on your website.
- Trust symbols such as security certificates and awards.
- Product detail pages with limited-time offers.
- Product reviews on third-party websites like influencers’ blogs.
Example content formats for this stage:
- Post-purchase content such as, care and maintenance guides and articles and guides with inspiration on how to use a certain product.
- Special offers for existing users sent via mailing lists.
- User generated content published and shared on your social media pages.
Social media and newsletters are the main channels to promote content in this phase.