Describe and outline your content, set expectations and motivate your reader.
- Pain motivates readers to read on to the solution;
- Unexpected or counterintuitive ideas generate surprise;
- Short narratives engage readers.
Make it clear exactly what you’ll cover and promise a concrete solution, to hook readers in.
Avoid “But first…” endings to your intro, which make the next section appear to be in the way of the core information. Instead, focus on the benefits of the next section - don’t tell readers that it’s a sidebar.
To decrease its length:
- Cut the laundry list of industry statistics.
- Shorten your narrative, especially if it’s a personal story.
- Reduce two examples to one.
- Pique interest and outlined your solution - you’re done.