Understand the reasons for a high bounce rate and use the findings to improve your website performance.
In Google Analytics, go to Behavior > Site content > Landing pages. Look at the top 10 pages with the highest number of entrances and identify the pages with high bounce rate; higher than the website average and/or higher than 60%.
- In Google Analytics, go to Behavior > Site content > Landing pages and click on the landing page with a high bounce rate.
- Click on Secondary dimension > Source/medium to see the data broken down by traffic sources.
- Identify the sources with the highest bounce rate; much higher than the website average or higher than 60%.
- Focus on your paid marketing channels with a high bounce rate.
Optimize your targeting by deactivating generic or irrelevant keywords in your Google Ads, using a more specific audience on Facebook, and using smaller or more specific audiences in the Google Display Network. Optimize the ad assets by ensuring that your ad matches the offer on the landing page
- In Google Analytics go to Behavior > Site content > Landing pages and click on the landing page with a high bounce rate.
- Click on Secondary dimension > Device category to see the data broken down by device category.
- Bounce rate on mobile devices is typically 10 to 20% higher than the desktop bounce rate.
- If the difference is significant for example, desktop bounce rate 30%, mobile bounce rate 90%, optimize your site for mobile devices.
- Go to Behavior > Site speed > Page timings.
- In the first drop-down menu under the search box select Avg. Page Load Time (sec).
- In the second drop-down menu under the search box select Bounce rate.
- Identify pages with high bounce rates and high page load time.
- Go to Behavior > Site speed > Speed suggestions to find the specific page speed improvement suggestions for these pages.
- Make sure that the message in your ads is matched on the landing pages.
- Place the call to action button prominently above the fold of the page.
- Include video or images on your landing page.
- Use customer testimonials to product reviews.
- Use trust symbols such as security symbols, certification badges, and award badges.
- Add punchy bullet points with the most important features of your product or service.
- Provide additional incentives like discounts and free shipping.
Create an A/B testing framework for your ads and landing pages. Test ads and landing pages on an ongoing basis.