Identify the interests, goals, motivations, and pain points of your brand audience.
Gain a deeper understanding of your target brand audience by looking for common interests. For example, gamers who care about their PC.
Using your audience’s shared challenges, goals, or interests, consider what your brand can champion for that brand audience.
Discuss this as a question with your team, considering your audience’s shared challenges, goals, or interests. Generate a list of ideas.
For example, if your audience is gamers who care about their PC, then your brand could champion showing the audience how to properly care for and build a PC.
Choose one way your brand can add value to this audience’s space, based on the brand champion ideas you generated.
From the brand champion ideas you identified, pick one you think best:
- Helps the audience solve a problem, reach a goal, or spark their interest.
- Goes beyond your products.
- Provides value and a unique perspective in the community space.
Brainstorm content ideas within this positioning angle to confirm it yields many free flowing content ideas.
For example, try to quickly think of 10 content topic ideas that fit this value proposition. If this is easy or not strained, then this value proposition could be a good fit for your brand.
Verify that your value proposition is tangible and clear. Ask team members to explain what they think it means and ask others in the company for their interpretation.
The answers from different people should be similar and concise.
Make sure your value proposition is not specific to your product. Check that all or most of the content ideas for this value proposition do not involve talking about the product.
Research your brand audience to test the relevance of your value proposition.
Since your value proposition is only an assumption, test this assumption using various methods, like:
- Reading relevant subreddits on Reddit to see if your target audience is asking questions that are related to your topic
- Polling your existing audience on social media to see if they’d want to learn more about the specific topic
- Looking for comments that reference their frustrations, challenges, or goals in existing community spaces
Write your audience positioning statement using the formula We connect with [audience], but [insight], by [value proposition].
For example, We connect with gamers who care about their PCs but aren’t satisfied with their PC set-up, by championing a DIY approach to PC building.