Define buyer personas

@naomi_kramer , thank you for your question. NPS, CSAT, and CES are the most commonly used customer satisfaction metrics and all of them form the Voice of Customer (which is the same as feedback from customer about their experiences and expectations). The language the customer uses is important as well, because certain words they use most common can be then selected to present Personas user cases, so to answer your question, is both.

2 Likes

Thanks @Irina_Tudorache - that’s exactly the information I needed.

3 Likes

@hesh_fekry Ready for you to review, if you want to.

2 Likes

Looks good to me @Irina_Tudorache probably should give the all clear though?

2 Likes

@Irina_Tudorache - Do these edits fit your idea of the additions you wanted to see?

2 Likes

@naomi_kramer , @hesh_fekry Yes, they fit. Great! I feel I need to create a separate Quantitative Research and Qualitative Research playbook with step by step intructions and link it with this one. Maybe someone needs it. What do you think? Only if it’s demanded because it would take some time to structure various business situations in mind in order to make it relevant.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea.

Those two would be considered hubs i believe I do feel the Quantitive research one needs some love though. We probably have way more playbooks that could fit there that are not linked right now. There is definitely more to this topic than Synthesising research and mobile navigation issues.

If you get a moment, would be great to get an idea of the sort of qualitative/quantitive research you had in mind?

@boagworld What are your thoughts on this?

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Conduct qualitative research

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Conduct quantitative research

@boagworld are these in context of this playbook or general? What would be your top 5 qualitative and quantitative research methodsfor this particular purpose?

EDIT - moved Quantitative and Quantitative related discussion over to relevant pages ^

It is a generic list. For creating buyer personas, I tend to use…

• Top Task Analysis.
  • Exit intent surveys.
  • User interviews.
  • Social media.
  • Search terms.
2 Likes

@boagworld Excellent, I will update the hubs with the generic list. And Ill make a variant for Define buyer personas.

@Irina_Tudorache let me know if you want to add anything to this list.

Research methods for Buyer personas.

Yes, @hesh_fekry , I would add something that just came to mind for accuracy. (for those who are interested in more details)

1. Always create Personas after you decide with stakeholders “What are the measurable business goals?” they want to achieve so your Personas may help with achieving the goals.

2. Create assumptions and hypothesis that will impact the business goals if proven right before deciding on the type of data to extract in interviews or surveys.

3. When you summarize each persona, they need to be different from one another in behavior and the preferences that determine how much and how often they will spend in your store.

Ultimately, it’s not a good idea to ask in an interview questions about future actions of a client. They tend to be extra positive and use their imagination, yet you need clear actionable data. There is a difference between “I would like the option Apple payment because its easier for me” and “I would like more free gifts to make me buy more”. The second one is not urgent and possibly that Persona isn’t a regular buyer. Always formulate questions about their past behaviors which have patterns, this will help you understand what they will do next and what data is relevant for the business to grow.

Ask enough questions to have 3 dimensions: what they know (ex: Technology comfort level will influence the steps in the Customer Journey- ex"not all people use the search bar"), what they might do (this is your conclusion based on their actions in your Usability tests or interview) and their conscious objectives (why are they in the store to begin with, what they try to achieve).

1. The language they use (epressions, words or ideas) can be used in content creation or emails since the clients will find it “familiar” and will resonate more.
2 Likes

@boagworld
I moved the relevant parts of the discussion to the individual hub pages. It seems like we need to make variants based on B2B, B2C etc. The variant specific to this playbook, I will fix now and check if we need to write the playbooks for it or if we have existing ones.

@Irina_Tudorache - the above i will edit into the playbook.

1 Like

Personally, I am not sure you need separate varients for B2B and B2C. Perhaps I am missing something, but I cannot see how the process for B2B and B2C personas is any different. Sure, there might be minor differences because of limited access to the customer, but that can be true for either segment.

3 Likes

I didn’t reply to this before because I wait to gather more feedback from people using this Playbook. If what they are looking for is unclear and it makes sense to separate them, then ok. For now, I agree we should keep them like this.

2 Likes

What is top task analysis?

1 Like

Top task analysis is a methodology created by Gerry Mcgovern to understand what questions and tasks customers want to complete. What sets it apart is that it recognizes that not all tasks/questions are equal in people’s minds and that we often overwhelm users with too much information. The approach helps you find the things that matter the most and prioritize them. This post has a good summary.

4 Likes

Thanks @boagworld for the quick response. Sounds great. Will read it in more detail.

1 Like

Would also recommend flagging the status in the customer journey. Eg. Those personas who are in the awareness phase will have different behaviour mechanics than those in the decision phase, thus when you or your team will use the defined personas in different operative activities, will be able to go deeper in personalization.

1 Like