Learn how users engage with your site, track behavior in segments, identify website issues and improve visitor experience.
Visit Hotjar.com and create a new account, or log in to your account if you already have one.
Click on the + icon in the top left corner of your Hotjar dashboard, click Add New Site, enter the Domain Name, select the Type of Business and create a new site.
Click the Start Setup button to the right of Install with Google Tag Manager to use Hotjar’s built-in installer.
- Log into your Google Account in the new pop-up that appears.
- Click Allow on the three screens asking to grant Hotjar permissions.
- Click Allow on the Confirm your choices screen
- Select the Google Tag Manager account for the website you want to track with Hotjar.
- Select it’s GTM Tag Container.
- Click Create and Publish Tag.
- Click Confirm and Create.
Alternatively, you can click Install Code Manually on your Hotjar dashboard to manually add the Hotjar code to Google Tag Manager:
- Click Copy to Clipboard.
- Login to your Google Tag Manager Account, select the Account and Container where you want to install the Hotjar pixel, and click on Workspace.
- Click Add a New Tag under the New Tag box.
- Click Custom HTML under Choose Tag Type and paste the Hotjar code in the HTML field.
- Select All Pages in the Triggering window and click Save.
- Name your tag something memorable, click Save, and click Submit to publish the tag on your website.
Click Verify Installation on your Hotjar dashboard, enter the site URL where Google Tag Manager is installed in the popup that appears, and click Verify Installation.
If everything went well, Hotjar should open a new window with your website and show a successful installation message. If you don’t get this message, go through the process again and make sure you granted Hotjar the necessary permissions and that nothing was missed.