Define groups of pages and analyze them as primary dimensions in your reports.
Sign in into your Google Analytics account and navigate to Admin > Content Grouping in the view column and click on “+ NEW CONTENT GROUPING”.
- Content Grouping lets you group different visited pages of your website into a logical structure and then view and compare aggregated metrics by group.
- Only 5 groups per view are available.
- Content Grouping is not retroactive, content groups are available from the creation date forward.
There are three options for how you assign content. You can use one or more methods simultaneously:
- Group by Tracking Code: add a single line of code to your website along the Google Analytics tag to identify the content group.
- Group Using Extraction: extract content based on URL or page title criteria using regular expressions.
- Group Using Rule Definitions: create simple rules to identify content.
For example, if you have a car blog where the type of car is identified on the URL, you could create rules for the different types of cars.
Navigate to Behaviour in the left menu, click Site Content > All Pages, choose the content group you just created as the primary dimension, add Page as a secondary dimension and validate if the group is correct.
To validate if your content grouping is correct, check that the pages on the second column are correctly assigned to the group in the first column. If you find any errors, go back to the content grouping setup and change the rules to match the pages to their respective groups.