Perform a UX benchmark study with SURP-Q

Business Benefits

Gain valuable insights on areas you could improve through competitor data.

Prepare a survey based on the SUPR-Q methodology that you can use for your UX benchmarking.

The aim of the SUPR-Q methodology is to judge a website based on its usability, credibility, and visual appeal. It includes the following 8 questions, including 1 NPS question, and is scored on a scale of 1 to 5:

• The website is easy to use (usability).
  • It is easy to navigate within the website (usability).
  • The information on the website is credible (trust for non-commerce).
  • The information on the website is trustworthy (trust for non-commerce).
  • I feel comfortable purchasing from the website (trust for commerce sites).
  • I feel confident conducting business on the website (trust for commerce sites).
  • I will likely visit this website in the future (loyalty).
  • I find the website to be attractive (appearance).
  • The website has a clean and simple presentation (appearance).
  • How likely are you to recommend this website to a friend or colleague? (loyalty).

Consider supplementing your survey with an additional component that measures the clarity of a website’s message such as its value proposition.

Have your participants complete a task on your and your competitors’ websites, and then complete your survey.

For example, you could have them complete a search for, and add a particular item to their cart.

Calculate your SUPR-Q score by averaging the responses for the first 7 questions, and adding the result to ½ of the score for the last question; likelihood to recommend.

Find your top competitors so you can compare against them. An example of how to do this is to search for your platform/companies’ primary keyword on a search engine like Google.

Alternatively, use Amazon’s Alexa’s Top 500 Sites on the Web to select 4 websites in your industry or market, or compare your site against similar sites in the SUPR-Q database.

Compare your survey responses and SUPR-Q scores against your benchmarked competitor data, looking for patterns and areas you could improve.

Comparing your site to benchmarked competitor data and user preferences could reveal some patterns, or best practices if you will, that could help you improve your site’s overall UX.

Alternatively, compare your site against similar sites in the SUPR-Q database.

Last edited by @hesh_fekry 2023-11-14T12:05:23Z