Optimize content for search intent

Business Benefits

Improve searcher satisfaction, get higher rankings, and a reduced bounce rate.

Identify keywords and search queries that your audience uses to research their problem, compare solutions, or find your website.

Look at the current search results for the search query to gauge what information users expect and end up finding.

Determine if the query is informational, navigational, or transactional to identify what types of information the user expects to see.

Map the keyword to a funnel stage and content format based on the query type.

Identify ways to add additional value to your content based on related questions and SERP competitors’ content.

Use the main keyword in the title, meta description, headline, and URL.

Answer the explicit search query thoroughly and near the beginning of the content.

Add additional related information that answers all implicit questions the searcher has.

Follow other SEO best practices, like linking to related internal content.

Track and measure success based on page bounce rates, time on page, and traffic sources.

Last edited by @hesh_fekry 2023-11-14T15:25:42Z

I have used a few good ways to work out what problems users are looking to overcome or what questions they are searching for.

One approach I particularly favor is talking to staff who have regular contact with the user. These tend to be call center staff, salespeople, or customer service staff. They will hear the same questions again and again.

Another approach is to monitor social media and see what questions or comments people make about your sector.

The final approach I use is to carry out a top task analysis. This is a great way for finding out what people really care about and are discussing.

You need to be careful about these metrics because a high bounce rate and low time on page are not always bad. It could be a sign that people can quickly find the answers they are looking for.